Author, educator, and articulate advocate of comics (and so much more), Karen Healey brings an astonishing voice and perspective to the writer’s craft. Her passion for storytelling is deeply rooted in the connections it forges between people, cultures, and histories. Her work has been lauded many times, including the 2011 Sir Julius Vogel Award for Best New Talent and includes “Guardian of the Dead“, “The Shattering“, “When We Wake“, and its sequel “While We Run“. In addition to her delicious prose and richly-drawn characters, Karen brings a fierce integrity and commitment to the truth that underlies each of her stories.
Joined by the delightful and inspired Katie Bryski (soon-to-be Stonecoast Master of Fine Arts graduate) as my co-host, we engage in a fabulous 20(ish) minutes of writerly discourse with Karen, exploring the merits of fan fiction, embracing diversity, integrating mythology into stories, and more (and be sure to check out Karen’s Workshop Episode for even more writerly goodness).
PROMO: The Melting Potcast – writers, stories, and more!
Showcase Episode: 20 Minutes with Karen Healey
[caution: mature language – listener discretion is advised]
We have a FORUM! Share your comments to this (or any) episode over at the RTP Forum!
Karen may be in New Zealand, but you can find her everywhere…
- Be all means, make your way poste haste to Karen’s Website
- You can follow Karen on Twitter
- Hang out with her on Goodreads or follow her Tumblr feed
- Fill your head with insights at her Girls Read Comics (and they’re PISSED!) feed at Girl-Wonder.org
Katie’s Star of Awesomeness is on the rise…
- Check out Katie’s Website
- Follow her on Twitter
- Check out her novel, “Hapax” on Amazon
- Peruse some of her short fiction: Under Oak Island – Tales from the Archives Vol. III (2014), After the Winds (in When the Hero Comes Home Vol. II) – Dragon Moon Press (2013), and Amy – Black Treacle Magazine (2013)